Palletization can be defined as the process of building pallets of product based on customer order quantities. Palletization occurs during order processing after the order quantities have been committed, prior to the pallets being picked and loaded on to the trucks for delivery. The Palletization Plugin provides eoStar users with an efficient way to palletize a set of orders and load resulting containers (e.g. pallets or carts) onto trucks.
In the past, distributors have typically accomplished these critical tasks using 3rd party packages like ULM or UPS Logistic’s Fleetloader, which are expensive and require time-consuming imports and exports. The Palletization Plugin is seamlessly integrated into eoStar, eliminating the need for 3rd party programs and the extra steps of importing/exporting the pallet information.
The following permissions (located at Records > Employees > Records > Plugins Panel) are necessary to access the screens associated with this plugin:
- Orders > Palletize orders
- Products > Pallet Sizes > Assign to customers
- May assign items to pick groups
- Products > Pick groups > Sequencing
For instructions on the palletization process, see Palletize and Load.
- Functional Area: Operations
- Roles Impacted: Warehouse Manager
Configuration and Setup
The Palletization Plugin requires proper configuration and setup to function correctly.
For example, all products need correct metrics (e.g. dimensions and weight) and all trailers must be configured. Without product dimensions, eoStar can’t determine how many cases will fit on a pallet. If a trailer's layout and capacity is missing, eoStar will not know how to arrange pallets in that trailer.
Configuration and setup is, in general, “do it once and forget it.” Just remember that new products, trailers, and pallet sizes will need to be associated with the existing pick groups, trucks, etc. when they are created.
Install and Configure Blackbox
See Install BlackBox for instructions on setting up BlackBox.
- eoStar sends order, product, and pallet information to the BlackBox service, which runs the data through an algorithm to determine, based on the rules setup below, how the product should be placed on the pallets and sends the results back to eoStar.
- BlackBox may be run on any available machine in your network or installed locally on the workstation the warehouse staff will use to palletize orders.
Setup Pallet Sizes
See Pallet Setup for instructions on entering pallet information into eoStar.
- NOTE: All containers that will be loaded on a truck should be setup here, not just pallets.
Setup Trailer Configurations
See Trailer Records for instructions on entering trailer information into eoStar.
Setup Product Metrics
See the Product Record Dimensions panel for a description of each field.
- NOTE: If coming from a system with a 3rd party palletize/load solution, this information can typically be imported into eoStar. Ask Rutherford Support for more information.
Setup Picking Information
Enter the Pick and Layer sequences for each Product on the More panel.
- This information is used to determine the order in which products are picked.
- Sequences may also be set on a per-warehouse basis using the Product Warehouses panel.
- When picking-by-load, pick groups determine how pallets are organized.
- NOTE: If only picking-by-order, there is no need to setup pick groups.
- Each warehouse must have it's own pick groups setup.
- Pick Group Pools and Pick Group Templates may also be used to further customize how products are grouped on pallets.
Setup Palletization Options
See Configure Palletization Options for a description of each setting.
- The rules and settings defined here will control how eoStar and BlackBox build pallets.