ION Report - Inventory Hits
As with the Inventory Valuation report, the Inventory Hits report is based on the white papers written by Jon Schreibfeder, president of Effective Inventory Management Inc. The white papers may be accessed by clicking on the “Info on the web” hyperlink in the top right corner and at Microsoft Dynamics White Papers.
The basic premise is that your warehouse should be arranged around products that need to be picked the most often. This does not necessarily mean that these are the products with the highest quantity picked. It is easier to pick one large order of a product than to make multiple trips to pick many orders.
So, this report measures “hits” to determine which products appear on the most orders within the range of time designated in the date selection panel, and they are ranked as follows:
- A – Top 80% of hits
- B – Next 15% of hits
- C – Next 4% of hits
- D – Last 1% of hits
- X – No hits
‘A’ ranked items should be arranged closest to the picking area to reduce the distance traveled for picking. ‘B’ Items in the next tier, and so on.
It is worth noting that this ranking is useful when picking orders individually rather than picking entire truck loads.
This report scans all orders (delivered and pending). In July 2009, changes were made so that all inventory reports now include empties, even if an empty is assigned to a product category and that category is flagged to be omitted from ION sales reports.
In order for employees to access this screen, the "May Access Inventory Hits Report" checkbox on the Plugins Panel must be checked.
For a complete list of all available ION Reports, see Overview: ION Reports.
How-To Create a Inventory Hit Report
- Select Inventory Hits off the Reports panel.
- Select the warehouses off the Warehouses panel. If only a single warehouse is chosen, then only inventory in that warehouse and its associated trucks will be counted.
- Select a Cutoff date and the number of months off the Date Selection panel.
- Using the drop down arrow, bring up the Product Include or Exclude screen to select the products for the report.
Inventory Hits Data Columns Explained
- Prod Nbr - This column contains the product numbers.
- Product - This column contains the Product names.
- StockLoc - This is the assigned stock location of the product. (This is assigned through the Records>Product>Records More Panel.)
- BackstockLoc - This is the assigned back stock location of the product. (This is assigned through the Records>Product>Records More Panel.)
- Hits - This is the number of times the selected product has been ordered within the time range.
- Accum Hits - This is a running total of the total number of hits the products listed have been hit in the time period.
- Accum % - This is the running total of the percentage of hits the selected product receives based on the whole.
- Rank - This is the assigned rank based on the number of hits the product has.
Graph of Data
This graph is typically a pie chart that shows the percentage of the hits of each product as compared to the whole.